Sunday, February 22, 2015

Apocalypse Bow Wow Review

TITLE: Apocalypse Bow Wow
AUTHOR: James Proimos III (Illustrated by James Proimos Jr).
PUBLISHER: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
PUBLISHING DATE: January 6, 2015 (out now - GO BUY IT!)

FROM GOODREADS: The end has come. The world is in shambles. Everyone is gone…except for the dogs!

Brownie and Apollo are two dogs living in bliss with a big, comfy couch to laze on. But unbeknownst to them and seemingly overnight, the world has turned to utter chaos. What they do know is their owners are MIA, they are starting to get on each other's nerves, and it's dinner time. What has happened? Who will feed them? What if their people are gone for good?!

With bellies rumbling, Brownie and Apollo decide to set out into the wide world, where they discover other pets and stray animals who have been left behind. But not everyone is man's best friend. It's a dog-eat-dog world now! With the help of a friendly neighborhood police dog and a small but mighty side-kick tick, Apollo and Brownie must figure out how to survive these dark times and locate their ultimate goal: dinner!


MY THOUGHTS:   I checked this out via my libraries Overdrive system when I was in need of a quick way to occupy some down time and while I thought I might regret it, I most certainly did not. This graphic novel/children's book is great for anyone who has ever owned dogs. The art is hilarious and I can honestly say it had me laughing out loud in a few places. The two main characters, Brownie (the mutt) and Apollo (the purebreed) have such funny interaction. They wake up to find their humans are gone and finally, driven by their need to eat, venture out looking for food. They meet up with a few other animals (cat, mouse and other canines) in a food mart and end up forming their own routine. While Brownie and Apollo do not always get along, it is soon clear they form a great team when partnering with these other critters. Brownie is so cute, and I especially liked it when he thinks he found a way out of their locked house by licking the doorknob and causing a deer to crash through the picture window - I am sure my dogs think they have these paranormal capabilities as well.

I am so glad I picked this up. There has to be a sequel and I cannot wait to get a hard copy of both this book and any following installments for my collection.

And oh yeah, I think children would enjoy it too!


RATING: 4 PAWS




BOOKER T'S RATING (aka - Pup Thoughts): 5 PAWS

This book was very interesting.  It has two dogs - Brownie and Apollo.  Brownie is a mutt and Apollo is a purebreed like me and my brother.  Now I personally think mutts are great and my family raises money for our humane society each year which promotes rescues so I already give Brownie 5 stars.  Apollo is slightly annoying, like my brother Cassius, and he never thinks Brownie has good ideas and he does!

If you have read any previous entries, you know I take an apocalypse very serious and I think it is great that this book looks at what animals should do faced with this possibility.  My only concern is I have never had a GOOD flea, let alone one which whispered thoughts and solutions in my head - they only cause me irritation and it just doesn't seem very real.  Then again, I am a zombie hunting blogging dog so who am I to question reality?  If you love dogs - buy it now!

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment