Monday, February 9, 2015

Book Review - Sweet Unrest

TITLE: Sweet Unrest
AUTHOR: Lisa Maxwell
PUBLISHER: Flux
PUBLISHING DATE: October 8, 2014 (out now)

FROM GOODREADS: Lucy Aimes has always been practical. But try as she might, she can’t come up with a logical explanation for the recurring dreams that have always haunted her. Dark dreams. Dreams of a long-ago place filled with people she shouldn’t know…but does.

When her family moves to a New Orleans plantation, Lucy’s dreams become more intense, and her search for answers draws her reluctantly into the old city’s world of Voodoo and mysticism. There, Lucy finds Alex, a mysterious boy who behaves as if they’ve known each other forever. Lucy knows Alex is hiding something, and her rational side doesn’t want to be drawn to him. But she is.

As she tries to uncover Alex’s secrets, a killer strikes close to home, and Lucy finds herself ensnared in a century-old vendetta. With the lives of everyone she loves in danger, Lucy will have to unravel the mystery of her dreams before it all comes to a deadly finish.


MY THOUGHTS: 
I wanted to like this book, I tried to like this book, and in the end, I liked SOME elements of this book. I think part of the problem is I never really connected with Lucy and Alex. The character I seemed to like the best was Piers, and he was a minor side character at best. The story was interested enough but fell flat for me. I could not stand the insta-love and while there was definitely a backstory to why it occurred, it didn't help me like it.

Now, there were quite a few things I liked about this book. I love books set in New Orleans and this contained all my buzzwords - Voodoo, cemeteries, dark settings, gothic mansions. I really enjoyed these aspects of the book and they were what kept it interesting to me. Also, the book didn't contain the normal, teen-age, happy, wrapped up in a bow, ending. I found the ending was very satisfying, although I have heard some criticisms about it. I am hoping this is a stand alone read. Even if a continuation does come out, I will not be reading it.

It was a decent debut book from the author and it was well written. The concept was fresh and for these reasons, I felt it deserved 3 stars instead of 2...although I had to seriously consider the rating for a while.


RATING: 3 PAWS





No comments:

Post a Comment