Monday, February 23, 2015

Embrace/Cherie Colyer - Review

TITLE: Embrace (The Embrace Series #1)
AUTHOR: Cherie Colyer
PUBLISHER: Omnific Publishing
PUBLISHING DATE: December 20, 2011 (out now)

FROM GOODREADS: Madison is familiar enough with change, and she hates everything about it. Change took her long-term boyfriend away from her. It caused one of her friends to suddenly hate her. It’s responsible for the death of a local along with a host of other mysterious happenings. But when Madison meets a hot new guy, she thinks her luck is about to improve.

Madison is instantly drawn to the handsome and intriguing Isaac Addington. She quickly realizes he’s a guy harboring a secret, but she’s willing to risk the unknown to be with him.

Her world really spins out of control, however, when her best friend becomes delusional, seeing things that aren’t there and desperately trying to escape their evil. When the doctors can’t find the answers, Madison seeks her own.

Nothing can prepare her for what she is about to discover.
Dangerous, intoxicating, and darkly romantic, Embrace is a thriller that will leave you spellbound.


MY THOUGHTS: Let me first say this is one of the books which I honestly hate to define by Goodreads ratings. It is a strong 3.5 and does deserve more than 3. I received this book, which is the first in a series (trilogy?), as a gift from the author. It was Ms. Colyer's first novel and an interesting one at that. Let's first discuss what I liked about the book. It was a YA paranormal and it was a quick, easy read. That is not an insult. There are lots of times I need to read a book where I don't have to think too hard and this definitely got me out of the book hangover created by my last major read. Also, it was extremely well written. There was quite a bit of dialogue in the book, which only enhanced the action. And lastly, this book was about witches. "Witch" is a strong book buzzword for me and I will give almost anything which has to do with them a chance.

Now, what I didn't like about the book. There was a love triangle of sorts and what I would almost consider insta-love. Now while I find both annoying, there was quite a bit of explanation about the causes and some of the insta-love actually tied in with the plot, so that is why the book still rated so highly.

This was an enjoyable read and I will be looking for additional works by Ms. Colyer in the future. If you like YA and witches, please consider giving this book a glance.


RATING: 3 PAWS
 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb. I'm glad you enjoyed Embrace. Thanks for taking the time to review it. =)

    ReplyDelete