Tuesday, June 13, 2017

TTT - Father's Day Freebie!

This top 10 weekly meme is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and can be found HERE.  Each week they focus on lists which cover various topics related to books and reading. 

This week is a Father's Day freebie.  Now I can be a smart-alec and say that parents rarely show up in YA books, and often aren't needed in adult books, so that's why I'm not tackling my favorite books dads, etc.  I lost my Dad almost 4 years ago and he is where I got my love for all things horror.  So this week I'm sharing 5 of my dad's favorite movies and 5 movies or shows I've seen and said to myself "Dad would have loved this."



FAVORITES

The first time I saw this movie was a local drive-in with my mom and dad.  Dad loved it (so did i) but Mom hated it.  You will see a theme here.

I never actually watched this with my dad, but he always told me a funny story and I know how much he liked this one.  When Mom was pregnant with me, Dad took her to see "Rosemary's Baby."  She thought it was going to be a romantic movie and didn't forgive him for weeks.  Dad and I always joked that I started loving horror from the womb.

Dad loved all of the "Planet of the Apes" films, new and old.  I remember watching the originals with him and then the remake in 2001. 

Dad and I always loved this and it's probably one of the reasons I STILL love horror movies and books set in cold winter settings.

Dad and Mr. Barb actually went to the theater and saw this together.  I don't do snakes (especially on the big screen) and Mom wouldn't go to this anyway, so we saw something else.  I remember Dad joking that someone in the theater thought he and my husband were a couple and he was attempted to put his arm around him during the entire movie.  Plus,  it was the first real time he and Mr. Barb were ever together alone and he wanted to prank him.

DAD WOULD LOVE THESE!

Dad was pretty sick by the time "The Walking Dead" was released but I KNOW he would have loved this. In fact, at least once a season, Mr. Barb and I mention it.

Likewise, my father would have totally been swept up in this one as well.

This franchise is consistently one of the best out there in my opinion and I would love to be able to marathon them and share them with my Dad.

Although not a well-known horror film, this one sort of game me "The Thing" vibes so I know Dad would have loved this one as well.

Mr. Barb and I thought this one was awesome too and I'm sure Dad would agree.  Another chilly horror-fest!

I'm glad I was able to honor my father in some way on the blog.  As Father's Day approaches, know that you are always on our mind Daddy, on this day and every other (yep, I'm a daddy's girl!)



21 comments:

  1. I lost my dad a few years ago too.

    We had never gone to the movies together but in his last year he just wanted to get out so we went once a week to anything and everything.

    He wanted to see Superman really bad though so my husband and I took him. He fell asleep about 10 minutes in and didn't realize it - then told everyone he hated the movie because he never wore the cape. lol

    Thanks for sharing your memories.

    #getsocial17

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Karen and for the kind words. It's been tons of fun getting to know new bloggers the past few weeks.

      Delete
  2. sorry to hear about your dad Barb! :( I lost my mom so I know how much you must miss him. Your dad and I would have gotten along so well! look at those fabulous books and movies! My kinda of Dad! :) I can see now who you take after :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about your dad. Such a great list though! I love Jaws and remember watching it with my dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace. I think that's one of the reasons I've been rewatching all the Jaws movies this past month or so.

      Delete
  4. Sorry your dads not around any more but what a great way to remember him.
    Excellent list.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can so relate to that. I lost my mum almost three years ago now. Like your dad, I love Jaws, The Thing and Anaconda! I keep nagging my dad to get on with GoT as he's still only watched the first season and the trailers for the new season are all over the tv. He's gonna get everything spoiled at this rate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe he hasn't started watching it yet. Sorry about your mom as well. My Dad was really ill when he passed and I was grateful he was no longer suffering but that doesn't really make the loss any easier.

      Delete
  6. Ooh what a fun way to do this! That's awesome that you were able to enjoy movies with your dad. I think I may have seen jaws with my dad too, I'm not sure. I did see Planet of the Apes with him and still love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Greg. I can't wait for the newest Planet of the Ape movie to be released. I always end up rooting for the apes though.

      Delete
  7. What a nice tribute to your dad, by featuring some of his favorite movies. He had great taste in creature features too, it seems! I LOVE The Thing and JAWS!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mogsy. He did love his creatures.

      Delete
  8. What a special way to honor your dad! Loved this post, it makes me wish I could have seen some movies with him:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a lot of fun and when he would come up for Christmas, we'd always find something great to watch.

      Delete
  9. This is such a lovely post. I'm sorry that you lost your dad, but it's wonderful that you were so close and you still know exactly what he would have liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Alyce. I really enjoyed honoring Dad on the blog.

      Delete
  10. I stumbled across Extinction and Dark Was The Night and loved them. So sorry to hear about your father. And how wonderful he shared his love of horror with you. Great line up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were both pretty good movies and was surprised they didn't get more hype.

      Delete
  11. Aw that's a nice connection/memory to have with your dad. I'm a total horror wussy. lol And totally botched this week. I switched the list around and did next week's list this week. Oops!

    ReplyDelete