Friday, July 7, 2017

Weekly Reads (07/07/17)


So other than the 4th, it's been a pretty low-key week here at The Farm.  The 4th was mostly wonderful.  We had some friends and family over and Mr. Barb cooked a feast, which is one the things he is best at, and everyone ate, drank and was merry.  It wrapped up pretty early in the evening which is fine with me because we had to be on firework lookout with Booker T.  He could sense they were brewing I believe.  I have to admit that the city fireworks, which we can hear in the faint distance, didn't bother him like last year.  It's just the people putting them off in the neighborhood into all hours of the night that bothers him.  I understand people want to have fun.  I'm all for city-planned festivities.  However, I don't believe fireworks should be sold to individuals.  I feel badly for pets, vets, and others who might have PTSD which could get triggered.  Booker T did fairly well with support from me, his Dad and brother and he didn't even have to take any meds.  It poured yesterday and has rained all day today (Thursday) which is OK with me because it's cut down in people using them.  OK, enough of my rant.

The boys did enjoy the festivities and food some and here is a picture of them my cousin (one of the few I DO claim) snapped.


We haven't really watched any movies of note, but hope to get to Skull Island sometime this weekend.  I had to google the ending though because I was afraid it would bother me.  It seems like a safe watch now (trying to avoid spoilers).  I have gotten a lot of reading done which has been fun and if all goes well, I may even finish another book or two before I return to work on Monday.  Here's what I plan on starting next.


Hope everyone is having a wonderful week.  What are you up to this weekend???

12 comments:

  1. I agree that only official displays should be allowed to have fireworks plus there should be a ban on them being used after a certain time at night so people and pets can get some sleep. I really do feel for dogs with all that noise. I don't like it much myself. Glad to hear Booker T did so well with it this year...tell him he's a big brave boy! And I love that gorgeous pic of your boys!

    I'm wondering if you were looking at the same thing I was regarding Skull Island! I refused to watch Peter Jackson's version for the same reason I never watch the other tv versions! It's been a good reading week but I'm still not getting films watched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet I did. Let's just say I always ended up cheering on Kong so I had to check some things out before I committed to watching it. We kind of have the same thing going with the new Planet of the Apes movie. I don't want to watch it just to be upset.

      Delete
  2. We had ridiculously loud neighborhood fireworks this year, and it went on well past midnight (and fireworks are illegal in my city- go figure!) Otis was a mess and still isn't himself. Oh well, hope your weekend reading goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think law enforcement basically looks the other way on the 4th. I found out last year that they really just respond if there was some other risk. When one shot into the electric lines last year, they sent someone out pronto. Other calls, they ignored.

      Delete
  3. I would be nice if only official places had fireworks. The Supernatural Pet Sitter looks fun. :)

    Hope you get lots of reading in. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did do a lot while I was off but know my reading time is going to take a hit again this week.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your boys had a good time at the BBQ! My poor old Buddy used to be terrified of fireworks but now that he's on seizure meds he seemed immune to the noise. It was great! Enjoy your books! I'm in the midst of a fiscal yearend so haven't been able to get in any time for blogging or reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad Buddy has an easier time of it. Hope you get a break soon!

      Delete
  5. We had some fireworks set off by folks in the neighborhood but they weren't too bad or late into the night, plus my dogs have never really been bothered by loud noises so things were relatively okay. I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on See What I Have Done because I've been curious about that one!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started it and so far it's kind of slow, but then I'm only about 20 or so pages in.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad the pups did OK with the fireworks. I had a dog who was terrified of them. I remember feeling so helpless on holidays.

    I'm really wanting to watch Skull Island, too. I've heard great things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make you feel helpless. Skull Island was AWESOME!

      Delete